Saturday, May 29, 2010

St Faiths Anglican Church, Ohinemutu, Rotorua

Ohinemutu Maori Village, Rotorua ~ a mock-Tudor style church completed in 1885.

  

The burial crypts are above ground because of the geothermal activity underneath Ohinemutu and on the shores of Lake Rotorua ~


The stained glass window shows Christ wearing a traditional Maori cloak who appears to be walking on the waters of Lake Rotorua ~


Tamatekapua meeting house(Ohinemutu Marae) along side the church ~


Sir Howard Morrison lay in state at Tamatekapua (his home Marae)~


The entrance to the Ohinemutu Urupa (cemetery)



3 comments:

  1. I've just discovered this site and really like the photos and directions. Thank you. Any chance of more country churches being added?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment which I have only just seen. I've now just returned to the blog after quite a hiatus & while I have continued to take church photos I haven't added them here. I'm going to try to get this rolling again but in the meantime you might like to visit my Flickr photos & in particular the Country Church set.

      NZ Country Churches

      Delete
  2. here is the link to my Flickr Church set- http://www.flickr.com/photos/flyingkiwigirl/sets/72157629750628837/

    ReplyDelete